Spirits On Ice, home of the Spirit Ice Vice ice ball machine, can custom-make a model just for you.
Today, we answer frequently asked questions about ice ball makers.
Is there a machine for ice balls?
Yes, there are ice ball presses that turn a block of ice into perfectly round, 2-½ inch ice balls that fit perfectly into a Scotch glass.
How do you make round ice balls?
With the right ice ball press, you can make a round ice ball in just one minute.
- Freeze an ice block in your freezer or purchase pre-made ice blocks.
- Set the ice block on the flat surface of an ice ball press like the Spirit Ice Vice.
- Place the top on the ice ball maker.
- Let the ice ball press compress the ice for about 60 seconds. You’ll know it’s done when the top doesn’t spin as readily as it did on the way down.
- Remove the top (careful, it’s heavy!)
- Remove the perfectly round ice sphere with tongs.
- Place the ice ball in your drink glass before pouring your signature cocktail into it.
How do you make clear ice balls?
There are a few ways you can make clear ice balls with an ice ball maker.
- Use purified water, such as Nestle Pure Life bottled water, coupled with directional freezing. Directional freezing occurs more slowly than regular freezing. You do this by filling an ice mold ¾ full with purified water. Place these in a cooler before putting them in a freezer. Let the ice molds freeze overnight. Then use the ice ball press as instructed. Read our tips for making clear ice balls posted here.
- Purchase ice from a vendor. Spirits On Ice has a list of vendors. One of our customers in Houston, Texas, buys his ice blocks from a company that makes them specifically for making beautiful ice sculptures. Place these blocks of ice in your ice ball press to make beautifully clear ice balls.
Why do my ice balls crack?
Ice balls crack for three reasons:
- Lack of tempering the ice. This is the main reason why ice balls crack. Temper the ice by letting an ice mold sit out on the counter for five minutes before taking the ice out of the mold and making it into a perfectly round sphere. You can tell the ice mold is ready for shaping into a sphere when the freezer frost disappears. Once this happens, place your ice mold onto the Spirit Ice Vice and you’re ready to go!
- Freezing it too quickly. The outside freezes first before the inside. This is another reason why directional freezing for making perfectly round ice balls is important.
- Bubbles in the water. Make sure the water has no bubbles in it when you place it in the freezer. Don’t shake the water as you place it in the cooler and freezer.
What is the best ice ball press?
The Spirit Ice Vice ice ball press is the best on the market. It’s made in the USA from professional-grade aluminum. Ordering online is easy, and they make perfect corporate gifts, Christmas gifts, and special occasion gifts. You can also order a custom model with your branding.
Where can I order an ice ball press?
Spirits On Ice has a way for you to conveniently order a Spirit Ice Vice ice ball press. We have three standard colors, and we can even make a custom one that has your brand on it.
Contact us for more information on a custom model for you!